Sunday, September 27, 2009

Moher, please.

Saturday came very abruptly to the sound of my cheap Motorola phone alarm clock. Waking up after only 5 hours of hourly interrupted sleep on a stiff mattress does not to the body good (welcome to hostel life). I get up and grab my towel, cause I needed to shower if I was going to look any kind of decent for this tour. Lisa and I go into the shower room, and both our jaws dropped. There are two showers, both with clear glass doors, across from both doors is a mirror. What the hell? I don't want to see myself naked in the mirror through clear glass shower doors, nor do I want to see my roommate completely naked, no offense. Yet, I somehow propped my towel up to shield and took my first hostel shower.

We piled onto the bus at 9:45 and headed off for a guided tour from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher and back. Our tour began with an eccentric man named Desmond, who was very informative and was adamant that we know exactly where we were and what the historical reference was. Desmond would speak, then repeat it three to four times after he spoke it, only he would switch up the wording to make it sound different. It was cute and funny at first but after four hours of palindromic speeches I grew tired of Desmond and drowned him out with my ipod. Our first stop was a castle. It was set on a hill overlooking a bay and immediately reminded me of a postcard. I still didn't have a camera, so I was in charge of my friend Leo's and will live vicariously through his pictures. Back on the bus we made stops at various locations on the way to the cliffs. It seemed like forever, but we got some good photographs that I'll post at the bottom. We stopped for lunch around 1:15 at a pub. I ordered what seemed to be my daily dose of french fries with some vegetable soup. It was delicious and Lisa and I immediately followed it up with a dessert entitled "Death by Chocolate". Now, if I was to die, a death by chocolate would seem like a good way for me to go, so I obliged and paid for an exquisite dessert.



Completely stuffed on chocolate cake and ice cream, we make our way back on the tour bus and head up a windy road to the cliffs. I can see them from the town we are in, just gazing across the ocean and seeing the stoic rocky masses towering over the waves below made me stop to catch my breath. If the views were this gorgeous from down here, how would I even handle the views from the top? The coach bus swayed and meandered up the cliffs and we finally had arrived. It had been a three hour tour so far and the only reason I had signed up was because of the cliffs. We got out of the bus and walked up towards the sidewalk and railing where you can look over the edge. Only there was one problem, it was completely foggy and you couldn't see 3 feet in front of you. To say I was pissed off was an understatement. I moped around for a few minutes before I looked back over my shoulder to find that the fog was clearing away and the cliffs were emerging out the misty, foggy curtain that was concealing them when I first arrived. If there was any time to not have broken my camera, it would have been now. There was a path leading up to the top of the cliffs where you could feel like you were on top of the world. But personally, I don't like boundaries. At the end of the sidewalk there boasts a sign that says "Private Property, Extreme Danger". I don't shy away from any sort of danger, so I jump that sucker and land right on a dirt path with a straight line to the tallest part of the cliff's edge. My converse and I leisurely walked up the dirt path simultaneously looking every which direction to dive in case a giant gust of wind came so I didn't fall to my death. After about seven group pictures I climbed to the top of the cliff. I walked to the edge and got so close that I could see the water directly below me, being put into a trance by the beauty of the entire sight. I only snapped out of it after faintly hearing my friends behind me yelling to "get back and stop being an idiot".





The height and sheer beauty of these cliffs are something that I cannot put into words. It completely took me by surprise at how amazed I was even though I had seen pictures, and I now know why. Pictures can't do them justice. I will start my campaign for them to become the 8th world wonder soon, so please all hop on the band wagon. And if there is anything I can recommend to you besides coming to Ireland in general, it is to see these monstrous beauties. You will not regret the 20 euro bus tour. You will not regret having to listen to a crazy old man ramble about castles, cows, rock tombs and round abouts. Trust me, every penny I spent on that tour was worth it. Hell, I would have spent the 20 euro just to take a bus out to the cliffs by itself. After an hour and a half at the cliffs, I bought a giant ice cream cone, and headed back for the bus. It was 2 euro, so I had to do it. Seeing as I had not slept very well the night before, I decided it was a great opportunity to catch up on some ZZZ's before we went out later on. I was at that point where I was almost asleep but still conscious when I heard and felt the bus come to a halt. I perked up and took out my headphones only to hear Desmond saying "Well, it's rush hour in Ireland." I thought to myself that it was impossible because we aren't even on a road big enough for two cars to fit, let alone enough for a 'rush hour'. To my surprise a heard of cows was walking up the road. We had to slow down because they were literally taking up the entire road. Cow after cow filed past the giant coach bus and were on their way back to a nearby field. Rush hour over. After this weekend I knew Dublin had a place in my heart for sure, but Galway is definitely coming in a close second.


No comments:

Post a Comment