Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First days in the Emerald Isle.

So, I have officially spent my first two days in Ireland and have successfully adjusted to the time difference. It's about five hours ahead here, so I went to bed Monday night at 7:30pm, and woke up today around 11. So, I'm all caught up on sleep.
Monday we arrived around 9am off of our five hour flight from New York. This flight was supposed to be a time of rest and relaxation, but the half sleeping pill didn't work, and I found that the tv sets in the back of the seats were a great way to entertain myself for the time being. Needless to say, I was exhausted by the end of the day yesterday. Upon arrival, the three girls I was traveling with and I, went through customs with ease. We took a cab to campus and I lugged my 74 pound suitcase, carry-on and backpack up three flights of stairs to my room.

Originally, I was psyched about my living situation because I had looked on the website to find a neatly decorated and clean 3 bedroom living space. No. This was a poorly cleaned, obviously not maintenance checked, crap excuse for an apartment. Nothing was mopped, cleaned or dusted before my arrival. We are without a toaster and a kettle, which are two items SUPPOSED to be in everyone's apartment. The bathroom has a toilet and a tub, which caused a minor freak out on my part cause there was no shower. But then I opened a door to which I thought was a closet, and there, low and behold was our shower. So basically, I shower in a closet. Our shower head doesn't stay upright so I have to hold it with one hand while I shampoo, condition, and wash my body with the other. The grout in the shower tiles are brown due to lack of cleaning and the shower curtain fell down on my roommate this morning. Pleasant to say the least. I've added pictures for you to see my room, bathroom, showering closet, kitchen and living area.

It was raining yesterday, so naturally I just decided to not care and go grocery shopping. Some girls and I took the bus to the city center, and walked around because we needed phones as well. We entered a store called Dunnes which is similar to JCPenny's but just has a grocery store conveniently located down an escalator. Weird. I had three bags worth of stuff, and didn't realize they charged for the use of plastic bags. Note to self: bring tote bags when grocery shopping. It down pouring as I walked out of Dunnes. I had three heavy overpriced plastic grocery bags that are cutting off circulation of my fingers with each step. Fabulous. Love this place. I get on the bus and go back to my room at around 5, I poured some Corn Flakes into my coffee mug for dinner, and pass out at 730pm.

Tuesday morning graced me with it's presence at 11am, and sun. I was ecstatic. My roommate, Lisa was awake, she's nice, from Minnesota and goes to school in Wisconsin. I walked around campus today with these two girls Sarah and Caitlin. I flew over with Sarah and Caitlin is her roommate that has been in Ireland for two weeks prior with her parents. She knows where she's going, I followed. We walked to the grocery store on campus which is convenient, I thought it was only a convenience store but it has pretty much everything I'll need so I'll shop there for most things. I still have to get pots and pans, so Lisa and I are waiting for the third roommate, if there is a third, to show up so we can go together. Tonight will be my first night out. I'm sure that it will bring enough for me to write an entry by itself. Until then. PEACE!


MY ROOM and CLOSET.






MY KITCHEN and LIVING AREA





MY GROSS SHOWER CLOSET and BATHROOM



No comments:

Post a Comment