Saturday, September 12, 2009

Learning is different here.

My first week of classes went as good as can be expected. I am taking five courses; Introduction to Political Theory (boring), Modernism (boring), Political Sociology (boring), Modern Architecture (interesting) and Social Anthropology (interesting). I am excited about the architecture and social anthro class. The architecture here in Dublin is reall fascinating to me and I'm excited to go on field trips around the country and see first hand some of the gorgeous structures Ireland has to offer. Social anthropology is interesting to me because it's taking a look at different primitive cultures around the world. My professor seems really into the course, and wants to push you to do your best. What I don't like about any of these courses, or maybe the school in general, is that there is no structure to any class. No joke, my Modernism professor had a list of 'mandatory, essential and reccomended' texts. She then went through the mandatory text list and said "If you're really serious about this course and want to spend some money, get this book. But if you're just looking for some background reading, you're better off with this book." Nowhere in the course syllabus is there any mention of what I am supposed to read before any given lecture for any of my classes except my Politics class. Coming from UConn, I am told what I need to do, read, and score on an exam to get a certain grade in the course. Here, I haven't been told if I actually need to read any books before lectures, or if I need to buy books at all. It's frustrating not having a set curriculum to follow, and I never thought I'd say this, but I don't like this sort of just 'how serious you want to take this course' attitude.

This semester will be different to say the least. I am confident that I can pull off great grades and excel, it may just take a few weeks to figure out what exactly is expected of me in each class. Many of the classes have seminars, which are smaller discussion based classes that meet every other week to discuss what's happening in lecture. I have projects and papers (2000-2500 words is considered a major paper here) due in seminars that are 30-50% of my final grade. After the first week, I think that I am over qualified for this school. People were complaining about 2500 word papers while I was in line to register. In my eyes 2500 words is about two and a half pages, and can be written in under thirty minutes. I guess this just means more free time for me, and that I can't complain about.

Well, have to go get my learnin' on. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment