Thursday, September 3, 2009

Found a euro.

So Tuesday night constituted my first night at an actual Irish pub. I first had the joy of using my actual passport to buy wine at the convenience store, with no fear that the cops would bust in at any second with plans to take me away for pawning myself off as Melissa Swartworth of Virginia Beach. It was a joy to actually be able to buy wine for myself. The girls I've been hanging out with got together at my friends apartment and we conversed about random things, mostly about my hair straightener blowing up upon plugging it into my outlet strip. Sweet, nice 160$ Chi straightener down the drain. FML. We stayed and drank until about 930, after which we decided to go to a bar close by. We googled, and found this bar, Kieley's, had great reviews and it was awesome all nights of the week. So, it being Tuesday it should be awesome. We walk to the bus stop, it's raining as usual, so we trek along. We get on the bus and go to the pub in Donnybrook. Thinking it's going to be off the chain, I was surprised when I didn't hear bumpin' traditional Irish songs. We get in there, and are litterally the only people in the place, with the exception of the the bouncer and a middle aged white man with a scruffy beard, who is currently drinking himself into oblivion all by his lonesome. I know this because he has 6 Guinness pints surround his solo drinking adventure in the corner booth. So we humor the bartender and waiter and actually sit down instead of walking out, and I am pressured to order a the most repulsive beverage I can think of, Guinness. I decided I should at least try it, seeing as I am in the native country. The first sip was just as gross as the last. It tasted like coffee, sand, foam, and mud all had a party in a blender and came out into this vile drink that the Irish pawned off as a delicacy. So I finished it, like a champ, and felt disgusting after. Needless to say, beer does not sit well with me and did not feel up to par Wednesday morning.
Wednesday rolls around with our International Student welcoming ceremony at 4pm. It poured all day. Every day that it rains I always ask myself why I came here, and then I hear some boy talk, and then I take back my question. So if you want to come here, come for the accents, not the weather, cause I'll be honest, it sucks. After the welcoming ceremony, which consisted of a bearded man who semi-resembled one of the members of ZZTop (google them if you don't know) who droned on about the history of Ireland finished blabbering after 10 long minutes, I opened my eyes again and we were given free scarves and coffee! I love free things, so momentarily I forgot about the rain, and walked home with delight, sort of. We decided Thursday we'd go to the student bar on campus because there was a band playing. We get there and it was pretty packed... with 17 year old freshman. We made friends and saw the band, who were actually pretty good. My friends and I started talking to these two boys who told me my accent was difficult to understand, which I counteracted with "UM, have you heard yourself speak?". I think he found rude, so I apologized. The night ended, and after two ridiculously priced drinks (vodka tonic -6.50, coors light 3.50, it was all I could afford), I was out 10 euro and on my way home. Hopefully tonight will bring better things, as we're going to a night club, and seeing as I don't dance what so ever it will be interesting.

So far so good. :).

1 comment:

  1. Oh megan, I love you! You're blog makes me happy. I can't wait to come visit and be able to share in the joy of Irish-boy accents. :)


    -Manson

    ReplyDelete