Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm never coming back.

Sorry to say people, but I have officially decided after my two week stay here in Ireland, that I will never be returning to the states. Just kidding, but I wish I could stay here forever. I may change my mind as the sun suddenly goes away on Wednesday and it turns back to the gloomy, wet and eerie weather Ireland is known for. All I can say is these past two weeks have been amazing and the weather has made it that much better for me to adjust. (Pictured : part of Trinity College and a building contrasting the gorgeous blue sky.)



My Sunday consisted of me sleeping until around 9:45 when I got up and made my morning coffee. I had stayed in Saturday night due to a stress fracture on my right foot (I have to learn to ease back into running and not just jump into a five mile jog after a 2 week exercise hiatus). I needed a night to sit back and relax without walking miles around Dublin at night, an activity I part take in almost every time we go out. We had decided earlier in the week that we wanted to take a tour of the famed Guinness Brewery. Though I had heard it is a tourist trap, I had the urge to see how the beer was made and the history of it (it will be 250 years come the end of September). Today was no exception to the gorgeous weather I've been seeing here. Sunny and 60 degrees. We hopped on the bus around 2pm and got into the city center around 2:15. We walked around for a little, taking pictures of various buildings while trying to find a connection bus to get to the brewery. When we arrived I was surprised at how daunting the whole building was. Huge brick walls made the factory extremely guarded as if to protect the beer from an eminent attack. Regardless, it was an opportunity to take pictures of an old brick factory, large metal gates, and cobblestone walkways. (pictured: factory, us outside the gates, the storehouse)





After getting inside the fee for the self-guided tour is 11 euro. Included is a tour of the eight floor factory, a taste test (half pint of Guinness) and a free pint of Guinness at the gravity bar on top of the storehouse. The storehouse is not the actual site of the brewery, but where it was fermented back in the early days. It is now turned into a museum with authentic machines and detailed descriptions and exhibits that show how the iconic beverage goes from barley to beer. Atop the eight story museum is the gravity bar. It gets it's name because it is a 360 degree glass room that gives you the illusion you're floating, thus defying gravity. This view is absolutely breath-taking. We go up to the gravity bar and all turn in our tickets for a free (well, 11 euro) pint of Guinness. Though I don't like the beer, I did like the views and over all thought the tour of the storehouse was worth it's cost. Money well spent on a Sunday afternoon. Stay tuned. (pictured: view from gravity bar, that doesn't do it justice).

1 comment:

  1. i love all of ur blogs.. they make me smile n even literally LOL :)
    i promise to start posting some blogs, so u know what's going on here at uconn
    <3

    ReplyDelete