Saturday, September 19, 2009

When you think the worst is over.

Let me preface the story: So just last weekend, my camera and blackberry were drowned by my roommate's explosive mixed drink in my purse. After the submergence of all my technological and electronic items, I was left completely alone and out of touch with the whole world. Well, not really, I just had to rely on meeting people when they said to meet and trusting there would be no divergence to the plan (which I otherwise would have found out via text message given I was still technologically connected). Needless to say, this past week was a struggle for me. I am a picture taking fiend, and for some of the best days in Dublin this past week I have had to rely on other people's cameras for pictorial evidence of my time here. I have in certain situations, acted as a paparazzi, merely using someone's camera for my own benefit. I don't really think anyone, besides a few of my best friends understand how important pictures are to me. EVERYTHING must be documented. Even if it's an ugly crack in the sidewalk that I see in a certain light, I have to have a picture so I can look back one day and say "Oh, look there's that beautiful ugly sidewalk crack that I stepped on in Dublin that one Wednesday when it was raining." All pictures have significance, and me without a camera is basically like chopping off one of my arms or legs; I'm just not complete. I have strolled through this past week uneasily, constantly worrying if I were to get lost or separated from my group, how I would make a smoke signal to tell them where I am and how to get back to me. I have filled my camera voids with my friend Caitlin's camera, and I finally got re-connected with the world yesterday, when my 24.99 euro, non-color screened, candy bar sized Motorola came in the mail for me. I thought things were looking up as I got ready to go out for a Friday night in Dublin. Clearly, the worst had not hit me yet.

First off, my entire Friday was a suck-fest in general. I had woken up at the God awful hour of 8am Friday morning in an effort to go to the Immigration office in the city center to register and pay a ridiculous 150 euro fee to stay in the country for 3 weeks after my 90 day tourist period is up. DUMB. Anyways, Sarah and I get up, wearing sweat pants ready for an entire day sitting in non-comfortable chairs just to get a 5 minute check of my documents and pay the fees and leave. The place is unbelievably crowded at 9:50 when we arrive (it opens at 9:30) and they are no longer giving out tickets for the day. Strike 1. We go do some retail therapy on O'Connell Street.

The previous night, was a dinner and wine reception for all the study abroad students. I obviously went for the free wine. My roommate and I each drank about 6 glasses, without eating dinner. We came back to the apartment and made pizzas. While cleaning up my roommate drops my only plate I have here on the ground. It shatters. I am obviously in the market for a new plate on Friday, and go to the grocery store on campus to get one for 75cents. They don't sell plates anymore. I eat dinner out of a bowl. Strike two.

The strike three of the worst Friday in history, puts the icing on the cake. For a week I have been without a cell phone or a camera. I get ready Friday night for what should be a good time. I finally have a phone, and though I'm out of cash, I decide I can just use my new bank card and not get the international service fee charge. My friends and I leave my gross, smelly apartment (we call it the Nest because it breeds new species of bugs each day) and hop on the bus into the city center of Dublin. We drink a little bit before heading out to some pubs in the Temple Bar area. We go to two bars and finally go to the last one, The Temple Bar. I show my license to get into the bar and put away my wallet. I haven't even bought a drink out and I know I have my wallet at this point. We stay there for less than an hour and decide to head to McDonald's for the usual drunken food stop. 2 Medium fries, a McChicken, McFlurry, and a 5 euro medium meal deal later (I didn't eat all of this, only half of a McFlurry) we get in a cab and head back to the Nest. The cab is the usual 16 euro, and I have no cash on me so Caitlin offers to cover for me. I have only change in my wallet, so I offer to pay the 25cents extra in an effort to make me feel like I contribute in some way. I go to get my wallet, and it's gone. Strike three.

I have no passport, which the only reason I brought it out in the first place is because of the immigration office earlier in the day. I have no license or ID in general with my birthday/picture, I have no cash, no bus pass, no student ID card, no travel cards. Nothing.

Strike three and I am out. The good news: the worst is over now, I hope. If I die here, which may come next, then you can all have my room, it's spacious you'll sleep comfortably.

1 comment:

  1. oh honey...
    you poor thing.
    w/ all that happening, the only place u can really go is up now. i know things will turn around soon enough. let me know if there is anything i can do for you, and i will try my hardest to do it.
    <3

    ReplyDelete