Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Trackpants, and other fashion faux pas.

I have to say, love Ireland, not so much the fashion sense. I think the biggest part of my culture shock has come from the fashion statements the youth of Ireland put on for clothing every morning and night. Mainly, I think the goal is to not match whatsoever and manage to look completely ridiculous.

For the guys, it seems as though they are stuck in the 90's. I cannot count how many times I have seen the unthinkable; track pants. Now, I have no particular qualms about track pants, but I do in fact, think they should be worn on a track. The boys at this school will get all dapper on top, with a nice polo shirt or a sweater than just completely ruin it with some black knock-off Adidas track pants. Why? I just don't understand.

The girls are in an entirely different league of their own. First of all it's straight from the 80's with hair resembling the likes of Bret Michaels in the Poison and "metal hair" band days (I kid you not, I thought I kept the bobby pin and hair spray industry afloat, I was wrong). These girls tease, spray, and pin like there is no tomorrow. Their hair does not move. Second, if the bad hairspray and pin job wasn't enough, the bleached blond locks of their otherwise brunette roots give any skunk a run for its money. They then in turn, pair tights with every piece of clothing imaginable; shorts, skirts, capris, dresses, you name it. And you may be thinking, oh tights, that's not that bad... No, these tights are neon, printed, or striped. I think these girls try and pick the brightest, most absurd articles of clothing and just throw them together. It's like a bad runway show waltzing through the campus everywhere I look.

I know that I stick out like a sore thumb with my jeans, converse, plain t-shirts and sweaters. But hey, maybe they'll take a hint?

No comments:

Post a Comment